Minor Name Change in Lafayette County, MS

File Your Minor Name Change in Lafayette County

Mississippi Name Change Order Includes:

Review and Research of Minor Name Change Request.

Real Complete Paperwork (No Kit) Only $89.

We Have Minor Name Change Filing Experts in Lafayette County That Provide Reliable Minor Last Name Change, Minor Name Change To Father's And Mother's Name And Can Help You To File A Minor Name Change Case.

To initiate a minor name change in Lafayette County, the parents or custodian must file a Petition for Change of Name of Minor in the county court where the child resides. The petition needs to include the notarized consent of both parents unless one or both parents are deceased. The decision to pursue a Minor Name Change can stem from various factors, including gender identity exploration, cultural assimilation, or a desire for personal redefinition. With the appropriate consent from parents or guardians, minors can initiate the necessary steps, such as completing required forms, attending court hearings (if applicable), and obtaining a court order that serves as proof of the name change.

Minor Name Change Lafayette - MS

What Are The Requirements That Needs To Be Fulfilled For Minor Name Change in Lafayette County?

1. Fill Out the Petition for Minor Name Change

To start the process of changing the name of a minor in Lafayette County, you will need to fill out a Petition for Change of Name of Minor form. Unlike some other states, Lafayette County does not provide a standardized document for the Minor Name Change Petition. You have two options: you can either download a generic Petition for Change of Name of Minor forms, such as the one provided here, or you can obtain the form directly from your local Chancery Court.

2. Notarization of name change Petition

In order to proceed with the Minor Name Change Process, the Petition for Change of Name needs to be notarized. This involves having all signing parties' signatures witnessed and authenticated by a Notary Public. You can find registered notaries at banks or by referring to the telephone directory. During the notarization process, each signatory will be required to present identification and sign the document in the presence of the notary, who will then affix their signature and notary seal to the document.

3. Obtain Parental Consent

If there are parents who are not petitioning on behalf of the minor, their formal permission must be obtained through the consent for change of name form. The petitioner is responsible for informing any parent or custodian of the minor about the intended name change and obtaining their written consent. This ensures that all parties involved are aware of and agree to the name change process for the minor.

4. Fill in Civil Cover Sheet

As part of the name change process, the petitioner is required to complete the first page of the Lafayette County Civil Cover Sheet and attach it to the front of their petition. On the bottom of page one (1), under the "Probate" column, they will indicate that the case is related to a Minor Name Change. This document serves as a reference for the court to access relevant information and identify each case quickly. If the petitioner has representation, their attorney should complete this document. Additionally, if child support is involved, the petitioner should also fill out the Child Support Information Sheet on page six (6). If assistance is needed to fill out the form, the petitioner can seek guidance from the Chancery Clerk.

5. Gather Documents

Before heading to the county court, it is important for the petitioner to have all the necessary documents prepared and organized. These documents include: • Civil Cover Sheet • Notarized Petition for Change of Name for Minor • Consent for Change of Name Form (if applicable) • Driver's license or photo ID of the petitioner(s) • Proof of address (such as a utility bill, bank statement, or government check) Having these documents ready will ensure a smooth process when submitting the Minor Name Change Document to the county court.

6. Submit the Petition for Change of Name at the Local Chancery Court

After gathering all the necessary documents, the petitioner needs to file them with the Chancery Court Clerk of the county where the minor resides. It is important to submit all the required paperwork at the court's designated location. Additionally, the petitioner should request one (1) or two (2) certified copies of their petition to retain for their personal records. These certified copies will serve as proof of the filed petition.

7. Pay the Filing Fee

The filing fee for a name change in Lafayette County varies from county to county. Before submitting the petition, it is essential for the petitioner to verify the specific filing fee applicable in their county. The price can be paid in cash, by certified check, or with a money order. It is recommended to confirm the accepted payment methods with the Chancery Court prior to filing the petition.

8. Attend Hearing

If the petitioner is required to attend a court hearing for the name change, they will receive a notification specifying the date, time, and location. However, if no hearing is necessary, the petitioner will be sent a certified document through mail, confirming the approved name change. This document serves as a court order, officially confirming the change of the minor's name. It is important to note that unless there are objections from the public or valid reasons for refusal, the court typically approves the Child Minor Name Change Request​​​​​.

Attend Hearing of Minor Name Change

Which Entities Need To Be Informed Once My Minor Name is Officially Changed in Lafayette County?

Once the name of a minor is officially changed in Lafayette County, it is important to inform various entities and individuals about the name change. Some entities that should be notified include:

  • Social Security Administration: Update your child's name with the Social Security Administration to ensure their records are accurate.
  • Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): Notify the DMV to update your child's name on their identification documents, such as a driver's license or state identification card.
  • School and Educational Institutions: Inform your child's school, college, or other educational institutions about the name change to ensure their records, certificates, and transcripts reflect the new name.
  • Medical Providers: Notify your child's doctors, hospitals, and healthcare providers about the name change so that their medical records are updated accordingly.
  • Passport Office: If your child has a passport or you plan to apply for one, notify the passport office to update their name on the passport.
  • Financial Institutions: Inform banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions where your child holds accounts about the name change to ensure their records and documents reflect the new name.
  • Insurance Providers: Notify insurance companies (health, auto, etc.) about the name change to update policy documents and ensure proper coverage under the new name.
  • Government Agencies: Inform relevant government agencies, such as the Department of Vital Records, the Department of Child Support Services, or the Department of Human Services, if applicable, about the name change

What If My Minor Name Change Petition in The Court is Denied in Lafayette County?

If your minor name change petition is denied by the court in Lafayette County, it means that the court has determined that there is not sufficient justification or valid reason for approving the name change. In such a case, the minor's name will not be changed, and their current name will remain unchanged. If your petition is denied, you may consider the following options: Review the reasons for denial: Understand the specific reasons provided by the court for denying the name change. This will help you assess whether there are any grounds for challenging the decision or if there are alternative avenues to pursue. Seek advice: Consult with an attorney who specializes in family law or Minor Name Change Filling in Lafayette County to understand the options available to you. They can guide you through the process, provide advice, and help you determine the best course of action. File an appeal: In some cases, it may be possible to appeal the court's decision. An appeal involves presenting your case to a higher court and asking for a review of the original decision. Your attorney can assist you in understanding the appeal process and its requirements. Reconsider your approach: If the court has provided specific reasons for the denial, you may consider addressing those concerns and reapplying for a name change in the future. This could involve gathering additional evidence or modifying your arguments to meet the court's requirements

How Mississippi Name Change Can Help You?

By entrusting your child's name change process to Mississippi Name Change, you can save time, eliminate stress, and focus on your other priorities. Our goal is to ensure a swift and seamless name change experience, empowering you to make the necessary changes for your child with ease and confidence If you are seeking to change the name of your child who is under 18 years old, Mississippi Name Change is here to provide assistance throughout the official process for a minor name change. Our experienced team will guide you through the necessary steps to ensure a smooth and efficient Adult Name Change process. Once you have chosen the new name for your child, we will help you prepare and file the required petition with the court. We understand that the process can be time-consuming and complex, which is why we are dedicated to providing comprehensive support and guidance. Our team will assist you in completing the necessary forms, meeting the required deadlines, and following specific procedures to make the name change official. We will also provide you with valuable information regarding notifying relevant parties and fulfilling any publication requirements, if applicable.

How Legally Mississippi Name Change Can Help You?

How much does it cost to file for a Minor name change?

The filing fee for the minor name change is $89.95 and $119.95 for expedited service. Once you file with us Name Change team will assist you in preparing your documents to be submitted to the court and provides step to step guidance so that your Minor Name Change Case proceeds further smoothly.

Frequently Asked Questions About Name Change

Do I need an attorney for a minor name change?
While not required, consulting with an attorney is recommended, especially if you have complex circumstances or encounter any challenges during the process.
Who can initiate a name change for a minor?
Generally, a parent or guardian must initiate the name change process on behalf of a minor child.
Can I change both the first and last name of a minor child?
Yes, it is possible to change both the first and last name of a minor child, as long as it is in their best interest and complies with the requirements
What are the common reasons for changing a minor's name?
Some common reasons for changing a minor's name include adoption, divorce, remarriage, or personal preference.
Do both parents need to consent to the minor's name change?
Yes, in most cases, the consent of both parents and guardians is required for a minor's name change. If one parent is absent or cannot be located, the court may require additional documentation or proof of attempts to notify the absent parent.
Can I change the name of my minor child in Lafayette County?
Yes, you can request a name change for a minor child in Lafayette County, but the process differs from adult name changes.
What documents are required for a minor name change?
The specific documents required may vary, but typically you will need the minor's birth certificate, proof of parentage or guardianship, and any relevant court orders or divorce decrees.
How long does the process take for a minor name change?
The timeframe for a minor name change in Lafayette County varies depending on factors such as court processing times and the complexity of the case. It generally takes several weeks to a few months to complete.
Can the minor child object to the name change?
Depending on the child's age and maturity, their opinion may be considered by the court. However, ultimately, the court will make a decision based on the best interests of the child.